KARAKA CHURCH SHOP CONVERSION - ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS
This historic church in Karaka was purchased to be converted into a shop. It was originally built at nearby Pokeno in 1890 and transported to its current location by a team of bullocks in 1917. A church hall was added to the rear of the property by volunteer parishioners in the 1950s.
The property was then purchased in 2007 with a vision to transform the church into a shop. This was a nine month renovation and landscaping project. The new owner tried to retain as much of the church's original character, transforming the property into a boutique homewares shop.
The project included the front of the church rebuilt, the roof replaced, the exposed cathedral-style ceiling beams taken back to their native state, the matai floors polished, and the residential component added to what was the hall.